Sunday, June 12, 2011

Framing the First 100 Shekels

You know how you always see $1 bills framed in restaurants and such, representing the first dollar the business owned?  Well...I'm ready to frame my first...100 shekels :) 

I can't say I wasn't thinking of selling cakes, that would be a total lie.  I even went so far as to try to come up with a name for the bakery and collected menus to get ideas for the popular flavors.  But - that was a distant distant daydream.  Until last week.

I had a minor cake crisis last week making a cake for a party when I whisked up my eggs and delicately folded the whole thing together...only to find my oven was still cold.  I asked the host to pre-heat her oven and jumped in the car.  It is about 85-90* out, so the cake...pre-baked....on the way.  I frosted the cake at the party when I arrived (fashionably late) and thought it would be a total disaster...but no.  Instead, a colleague asked if I could make a cake for his birthday.                   AND HE WOULD PAY ME!

I modestly tell him the cost of the ingredients (which is not so cheap in Israel, especially since the State just upped the price of butter!) and he doubles it!  My first cake sold for roughly $30!

But wait...it gets better!!! He and his colleagues were so impressed by my cake (which they ate a day later, so it was a little too dry) that they want to buy "a couple" of cakes from me for a farewell event!  HA!!!  This is taking off much faster than I thought.  My audience will be about 140 people, roughly 30 of which are Americans (so who know cakes) and the rest Israelis and Palestinians (who don't know great cakes)!  Oh, if only all the Israelis and Palestinians could come together around my cakes :)  Hahaha. 

Anyway, it will be quite the challenge in terms of timing (a much bigger scale than I've done before) and in terms of it being a PICNIC!  I'm picturing the frosting just sliding right off the precious little dessert.  Maybe I'll have them slightly frozen..oh then there will be water droplets.  There is also the dilemma of having only one cake carrying case.  Boxes?  Cake platters with plastic bowls taped on top ($5 a bowl)?  If anyone is up for the challenge..it is me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment