Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy BIrthday Katie! (ie. Delicious Cupcake Occassion!)

It was quite the challenge to make Katie's birthday cupcakes.  She is a cupcake connoisseur.  We're a perfect match :)  I love to make them and she loves to eat them (and give me great feedback!).  So for her birthday, I really wanted to make something especially delicious.  The challenge, make her favorite cupcake - Georgetown Cupcake's  Vanilla².  I've never had this cupcake before (and I didn't look up that website until just now), but I definitely succeeded.



I started with the most delicious richest creamiest vanilla recipe I know:  Warren Brown's yellow butter cake.  (Warren Brown is a D.C. chef and a food star...he was making cupcakes before Georgetown cupcake even existed!  He is pretty a big deal.)  I won't say I modified his recipe (it is pretty great) but I did use two specific ingredients he didn't mention.  First, I used this amazing butter I buy from "my cheese guy" in the market.  Second, I used our best vanilla - a pure bourbon vanilla.  (Little did I know that Georgetown Cupcakes also uses a bourbon vanilla!)

I went with a vanilla cream cheese frosting.  (I didn't use a recipe!, but if you'd like one you can check out Georgetown Cupcake's.)  Okay, I will tell you that mine is different because a.) the portions are off (I just eyeball it) and b.) after I've added the maximum amount of powdered sugar the butter/cream cheese can handle, I mix in a splash of heavy cream.  This makes the frosting really fluffy.

For Katie's Birthday I made a green-teal frosting and decorated the large cupcakes with swirls and the small ones with stars.  Then, because I've been dying to use my cute little pearls and because Katie's birthday is worthy of my favorite decoration, I delicately added the cute little balls.  In the car on the way to work this morning I was so excited to give Katie her cupcakes!  Me:  They look like something you would eat at a baby shower or an engagement party! Paul:  You mean wearing a dress and pearls?  Me:  Exactly!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment