Friday, May 20, 2011

"Food" Blogs

In the past week I've made an interesting revelation about "food" blogs and the amazing mouth-watering website foodgawker.com.  Here it is, the sad truth:  To be a great food blogger, you just have to be a great food photographer.  That is really all there is to it.  The proof of this is that in my estimation about 1/3 of the posts on foodgawker are not of good food or from artist chefs.  I mistakenly thought it was a great resource which compiled the best of the armature chefs.  (Oh...maybe I should create THAT site!)

Anyway, it was a sad revelation to see cheap products in good photos or no recipe attached to the photo.  But, I have to cut them some slack because Food Network does it too.  I was watching a Thanksgiving Day special a few years ago and the celebrity chef put a dash of salt into his dish.  The other chefs laughed and pointed out to him that he had mistakenly used the sugar and not the salt.  They all laughed and noted that "it just has to look good - no one is really going to eat this."  Hmm...

At least they've led me to several good food blogs.  And they do have delicious photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment